Code of Conduct Policy
Welcome to Taylor County Public Library. This Code of Conduct is intended to encourage behavior that support’s the library’s objective to provide the best possible resources in a warm, welcoming, safe environment. It is the responsibility of the library to ensure the safety of its patrons, visitors, and staff.
This Code of Conduct is posted in the library and copies are available at the Front Desk. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it interferes with the library objective, causes damage to buildings or equipment, or causes injury to oneself or others. Those willing to modify unacceptable behavior are always welcome to stay. Those unable to comply will be asked to leave and library privileges may be suspended.
Examples of Unacceptable Behavior include but are not limited to:
- Offensive language, such as swearing, obscenities, ethnic slurs, etc.
- Removing or attempting to remove materials, equipment, or property without proper checkout or other official authorization.
- Damaging or defacing library materials, running and/or climbing within the library or playing with the artwork and/or displays is prohibited.
- Any violation of federal or state laws or local ordinances. Theft, vandalism and mutilation of the library’s property are criminal offenses and may be prosecuted. The library reserves the right to inspect bags, briefcases, backpacks, and other such items when the staff has reason to believe this rule has been violated.
- Carrying weapons by unauthorized personnel.
- Failing to adhere to copyright laws.
- Eating, drinking, smoking, and other tobacco products are prohibited except in authorized areas.
- Leaving children under the age of 12 unattended is prohibited.
- Harassment or threatening others either verbally or physically is prohibited.
- Being in unauthorized areas of the library.
- Loud, disruptive conversations are prohibited.
- Use of facilities or equipment for solicitation or distribution of materials, without prior authorization is prohibited.
- Use of bicycles, skates, or skateboards on premises is prohibited.
- Library users must wear appropriate attire including shoes and shirts.
- Patrons whose bodily hygiene is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons may be asked to leave the library.
- Loitering in the building or outside of the building is prohibited.
- Sleeping or bathing in the building is prohibited.
- Animals are not permitted in the building, with the exception of pre-approved animal programs or animals providing assistance to people with disabilities.